Re: floating point representation - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Philip Warner
Subject Re: floating point representation
Date
List pgsql-hackers
At 15:48 20/02/01 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:

>The existing default of FLT_DIG or DBL_DIG digits seems like a good
>general-purpose policy, but it doesn't meet all needs.  For pg_dump,
>we clearly would like to promise exact dump and restore.  On the
>other side, the geometry regress tests would like to suppress a few
>of the noisier low-order digits.  And we frequently see questions from
>users about how they can display fewer digits than the system wants to
>give them --- or, more generally, format the output in some special
>form.

If I could add another 'nice-to-have' in here: the ability on a
per-attribute basis to specify the preferred output format. This could
apply to real, date, integer etc etc. Clearly not a 7.1 feature.

PGP key available upon request,  |  /
and from pgp5.ai.mit.edu:11371   |/