Re: pg_dump of regression db? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Philip Warner
Subject Re: pg_dump of regression db?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
At 12:34 13/09/00 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:

>The command needs to read "basetype = any".  I guess you'll have to
>special-case this in pg_dump (or more accurately, change the special
>case that's probably there now for aggbasetype = 0).  I think I changed
>the aggregate regression test to exercise basetype = any not long ago.
>It didn't before, which is why you didn't see the failure before.

The particular piece of code (findTypeByOid) that does this is used to
display types other places (eg. function return types). My guess is that I
should use the new 'format_type' function in these as well, and have a flag
for the specific case of the aggregate dumping code.

So I would build the type info table with a new column that contains
'typedefn', which is just the  output of format_type(typeid, NULL), and
pass an 'opaque as any' flag when dumping aggregates.

Does this sound reasonable?

>> I vaguely recall seeing something about pg_dump not working of the
>> regression db, but would be interested to know if this is the known
>> problem,
>
>No, the known problem is that ALTER TABLE on a inheritance hierarchy
>screws up the column ordering of the child tables:

>IMHO this is not pg_dump's fault, it's a bug in ALTER TABLE.  See the
>archives for prior discussions of how ALTER TABLE might be fixed so that
>the child has the "correct" column order a,b,c,f,d,e right off the bat.

Am I correct that someone was working on allowing a column order to be
specified in COPY commands? If so, this would fix the problem, I think.

PGP key available upon request,  |  /
and from pgp5.ai.mit.edu:11371   |/