Re: 2nd update on TOAST - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Philip Warner
Subject Re: 2nd update on TOAST
Date
List pgsql-hackers
At 12:50 6/07/00 +1000, Philip Warner wrote:

>>Are you using current sources?  Bruce committed Philip Warner's
>>pg_dump rewrite a day or so ago (which I thought was way premature,
>>but anyway...).  Just want to know which pg_dump we're talking about.
>
>It's good that any bugs had a chnace to come out ASAP.
>
>However, I'd be interested to know what actually happens: I do recall that
>pg_dump (both versions) have seomething like '#define COPY_BUFFER_SIZE
>8192'; if I were to start looking, that's where I'd go first.

Further to this, looking at the code, it now uses 'archputs', which
replaces 'fputs', to output the copy buffer (assuming the error is in the
copy, not while dumping the definitions); if PQgetline fills the entire
buffer (no trailing \0), then I could imagine both would croak. The
simplest test would be to tell PQgetline that the buffer size if 1 byte
smaller, and see if it fixes the problem.

I'd be interested to hear from someone...at least to know a little more of
the circumstaces of the error.

(A.C.N. 008 659 498)             |          /(@)   ______---_
PGP key available upon request,  |  /
and from pgp5.ai.mit.edu:11371   |/