Re: How to select a row and an adjacent row? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Lincoln Yeoh
Subject Re: How to select a row and an adjacent row?
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi everyone,

Just say I'm doing a select ... from ... where ... order by...
I know the row I want, but I also want the row after (or before in another
case), and the row I want is NOT at the top/bottom of the order by :(.

Is there a way to do it faster than doing the entire select?

The reason I have this is because I'm letting the user choose the order of
the query. When viewing information based on a particular row, I want to
put a "Next" and/or "Prev" button to go to view information based on the
next/prev row in the order previously selected, and so on...

Storing the query results into a temporary location is starting to look
like the way to do it. But as this is a web application, deciding the
optimal solution to when and how to delete the results is not easy for me :(.

Thanks!
Link.