Re: [SQL] WHERE clause? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Steven Bradley
Subject Re: [SQL] WHERE clause?
Date
List pgsql-sql
To the best of my knowledge, this is the way to do it; however, if you
wanted to save on coding, you could always create a function to do the
comparison for you and then call this function for each column.  Another
thing I've done (under Oracle) is to generalize and normalize the audit log
tables so that they can be used for changes to ANY table in the database.
The three tables required for the would be

--
-- top level table, stores general info about the SQL command that caused a
-- record's data to change

--
-- contains the column name/value pairs which unquely identify the record
being changed.

)

--
-- contains the column name/value pairs which for columns affected by the
SQL command.

)

Hope this gives some "food for thought" on how you can implement a
generalized audit capability for all of your tables.

Steven Bradley
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
PO Box 808
Livermore, California 94550