Query Question - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Bob Kruger
Subject Query Question
Date
Re: [SQL] Query Question
List pgsql-sql
Here is a simple query question that has me stumped.

I have a database that contains the information on vehicle maintenance
costs.  When a repair is done to a vehicle, the tag number and the amount
of the repair is recorded.

table structure runs as follows:

id        serial
po        varchar(12)
veh_no        varchar(8)
cost        real
comments    varchar(30)

I would like to be able to do a query in which I can list all of the
vehicles and a totalization of the costs, e.g. list one vehicle number, and
the sum of costs for that vehicle.  Because there are numerous entries for
each vehicle I know that some part of the query will have to include
"distinct veh_no" so that only one output for each vehicle is listed.

I have figured out a way to do this with Perl, but it takes two selects,
and I would prefer to do this with just one.

Any hints or ideas?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Regards - Bob Kruger