Performance test with -F (Was Postgres Speed or lack thereof) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Roberto Joao Lopes Garcia
Subject Performance test with -F (Was Postgres Speed or lack thereof)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>For example my postmaster start script looks like>
>
>nohup postmaster -i -o "-F" >server.log 2>&1 </dev/null &

I trayed the -F option and the results is bellow. I use a C program (libPQ)
that read from 3 dbf files and past it to 3 tables in postgreSQL 4.0.0.
Eche row in dbf file generate a SQL insert command. I´m not using begin
transaction and commit to make all insert in just one transaction.

Test  without -F option:

table 1: 697 rows = 4' 39"
table 2: 22760 rows = 1h 9' 37"
table 3: 22758 rows = 43' 44"
index/vacuun/grant all tables 12' 58"
Total time: 2h 10' 58"

Test  with -F option (dbf file was updated and grow up a litle):

table 1: 698 rows = 1' 52"
table 2: 22798 rows = 15' 38"
table 3: 22796 rows = 7' 42"
index/vacuun/grant all tables 11' 39"
Total time: 36' 51"  ~= 72% reducion in time

it will allow me to update postgreSQL tables from the dbf 2 times a day
insted of one at night!

Thank you who point me the -F option. I will tray with begin transaction
and commit to make all inserts in just one transaction

Roberto

Eng. Roberto João Lopes Garcia         E-mail: roberto@mha.com.br
F. 55 11 848 9906   FAX  55 11 848 9955

MHA Engenharia Ltda
E-mail: mha@mha.com.br    WWW: http://www.mha.com.br

Av Maria Coelho Aguiar, 215 Bloco D     2 Andar
Centro Empresarial de Sao Paulo
Sao Paulo - BRASIL - 05805 000