(libpq) PQclear on questionable result pointer. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From wade
Subject (libpq) PQclear on questionable result pointer.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Greets all,
While attempting to clean up some memory leaks, I have encountered some
difficulties.  In the code for PQclear() we have the check:
 if (!res)return;

The problem arrises when the result object pointer you are passing to clear
contains not a null and not a valid result object address, but a junk pointer.
PQclear() seg faults when the address is outside of the data segment.
(libpq bug?)
My question is, how does one determine when a PGresult* contains the address
of a valid result object?  Rewriting the calling code is not an option sadly.
What I would like to be able to do is something like this:
if ( result_is_valid( res ) ){    PQclear( res );}

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions. -Wade