Pg - Perl - disc activity - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thomas Balle
Subject Pg - Perl - disc activity
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

We are runnning af small homepage with pages dynamically generated from a
postgresql database.

I use Perl 5.004_04, Postgres 6.3.2 and the included Pg library.

When a page is constructed it makes approx. 15 request like 'SELECT * from
table_name' and 'where col_name = val'

The postmaster is running with -B256 option.
The base/postgres dir is 1.1M totaly
An Ascii COPY of the DB is only 33k
The perl proggy uses <1MB memory upon execution
postgres uses 1.3MB of memory upon these requests
The largest table got 500 entries

It takes approx. one second to create one of these pages and all of the CPU
power according to top is taken by postgres not perl.

The machine is running RH5.1 with 192MB ram at current it is basically the
only thing running on the machine so no other task would steal memory or
anything.

Hope some one can tell me what to do to avoid that extremely slowing disc
activity, it must be some config thing.

I should mention that I have used standard RPM's for all relevant programs
and libraries.

Thanks,

Thomas