pg_shadow constraint ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From mikeo
Subject pg_shadow constraint ?
Date
List pgsql-general
hi, i have a question about pg_shadow and constraints on it.

someone left our employ and i did a dropuser on his id.  later,

when i did a pg_dump none of the tables created by him were

dumped.  i added him back thru createuser so that i could do a

valid pg_dump.

i tried to create a unique index on pg_shadow on usesysid with

the intention of creating a foreign key from pg_class to the

shadow table to save me from myself.  :)

usesysid_idx on pg_shadow(usesysid);

CREATE

</color></bold>then i attempt to create a foreign key from pg_class:

fk_relowner foreign key (relowner)

references pg_shadow(usesysid);

</color>NOTICE:  ALTER TABLE ... ADD CONSTRAINT will create

         implicit trigger(s) for FOREIGN KEY check(s)

ERROR:  Index 'pg_shadow_name_index' does not exist

so i do a \d on pg_shadow:

ERROR:  Index 'pg_shadow_name_index' does not exist

</color>there were no indexes on pg_shadow when i started and i don't
know why i

would be getting this index error message after creating a unique

i'm guessing that i cannot create such an index on pg_shadow because it
causes

some sort of internal problems.  what i wanted to do was create a "STOP"
for

attempting to drop a user if that user still owns objects?  with a lot of

databases i thought it'd be easier for the system to tell me if such a

situation existed than my searching through for that info.

any suggestions would be welcome!

mikeo