Re: [HACKERS] Re: Informix and OUTER join syntax - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Don Baccus
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Re: Informix and OUTER join syntax
Date
List pgsql-hackers
At 03:43 PM 1/12/00 -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:

>     SELECT *
>     FROM tab1, OUTER(tab2, OUTER tab3)
>     WHERE tab1.col1 = tab2.col1 AND
>           tab2.col1 = tab3.col1
>
>It does the tab2, tab3 as an _outer_ join first, then _outer_ joins to
>tab1.  Even more interesting.
>
>Can someone show me this in ANSI syntax?

Along the lines of

SELECT *
FROM tab1 RIGHT JOIN (tab2 RIGHT JOIN tab3 on col1) on col1

more or less.  No where clause is needed, of course.

I left my copy of Date's book back in Boston so can't be
precise, guess I'll have to go visit my girlfriend ASAP!

Thomas will probably make it clear I'm all wet here, but by
trying to generate SQL-92 queries myself I'm hoping I'll learn
something.