Re: [SQL] Date fields and libpq.... - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Kachun Lee
Subject Re: [SQL] Date fields and libpq....
Date
List pgsql-sql
At 02:17 PM 6/26/98 -0700, you wrote:
>> I think you may want to change your query to:
>>
>>    select date_part(datetime(abst_att), 'epoch') ....
>>
>> In addition, unless you were using BINARY cursor, you will need to do
>> something like:
>>
>>   time_t t = atol(PQgetvalue(res, i, 0));
>
>I have tried this but don't think I understand the internal datetime
>function correctly.  Should my query be(start is defined as abstime):
>
>select start(datetime(abst_att),'epoch') from timebase;

It should be:

  select date_part(datetime(start),'epoch') from timebase;

This means:

  datetime(start)              - change start to datetime.
                                actually, date_part may be able to take
                    abstime... I am just not sure.
  date_part(datetime(start), 'epoch')
                       - change datetime(start) as epoch,
                    i.e. number of sec since 1970/1/1

>And then should this work:
>
>printf("%lu\n",(unsigned long)PGgetvalue(res,0,0));

You would do:

   printf("%s\n", PGgetvalue(res,0,0));

PGgetvalue will return the number of seconds in *string* form. If your
start is around now, the printf should print something like "898898516".
That is why you need to convert it to time_t by something like atol.