Re: Problem with database performance, Debian 4gb ram ? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz
Subject Re: Problem with database performance, Debian 4gb ram ?
Date
List pgsql-performance

On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 2:16 PM, Grant Masan <grant.massan@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Hi all,

I have now readed many many forums and tried many different solutions and I am not getting good performance to database. My server is Debian linux, with 4gb ram, there is also java application and I am giving to that 512mb (JAVA_OPTS) memory. In database there is now like 4milj rows. What should I do better.

I would rather start to look at queries performance.

What's the size of db ?
select pg_size_pretty(pg_database_size('yourDbName'));

start logging queries, with time of execution, to see which ones are causing problems.

--
GJ