Re: Scalability in postgres - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz
Subject Re: Scalability in postgres
Date
List pgsql-performance
2009/5/29 Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com>:

> Both Oracle and PostgreSQL have fairly heavy backend processes, and
> running hundreds of them on either database is a mistake.    Sure,
> Oracle can handle more transactions and scales a bit better, but no
> one wants to have to buy a 128 way E15K to handle the load rather than
> implementing connection pooling.  Show me an Oracle server with 5000
> live, active connections and I'll show you a VERY large and expensive
> cluster of machines.

yes, because for that, oracle has nicer set of features that allows
you to create cluster on cheaper machines, instead of buying one ;)

But other thing, worth noticing from my own experience is that you
have to pay for Oracle so much, just to be able to enjoy it for a bit,
people tend to buy better servers.
It feels more pro if you have to pay for it. That's the observation
from UK, at least.

--
GJ