Re: re-novice coming back to pgsql: porting an SQLite update statement to postgres - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: re-novice coming back to pgsql: porting an SQLite update statement to postgres
Date
List pgsql-general
On 7/23/24 13:11, Vincent Veyron wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Jul 2024 20:31:13 +0000
> Dan Kortschak <dan+pgsql@kortschak.io> wrote:
>
>> My question is where would be the best place for me to looks to learn
>> about how to implement a port of this SQLite? and what would broadly be
>> the most sensible approach to take (to narrow down what I need to read
>> through in learning)?
>>

> This is the goto page for anything SQL :
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/sql-commands.html
>
> For DateTime types :
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/datatype-datetime.html
>
> For JSON types :
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/datatype-json.html

Just know that SQLite does not enforce types, therefore it is entirely
possible that there are values in fields that are not valid in Postgres.

Think:

select ''::integer
ERROR:  invalid input syntax for type integer: ""
LINE 1: select ''::integer

> If your query works in SQLite, all you have to do is read those, and try to port; if it fails, read them again. Also
searchthe archives of the pgsql-general list, many answers in there

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com