Re: Like to RETURN SQL results set - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Laurenz Albe
Subject Re: Like to RETURN SQL results set
Date
Re: Like to RETURN SQL results set
List pgsql-admin
On Wed, 2024-03-27 at 20:40 +0000, M Sarwar wrote:
> I am writing a dynamic function in which number of columns to be retrieved change
> depending on the parameter values passed while invoking the function.
> I am using CROSSTAB in the dynamic SQL.
> Once I prepare a dynamic SQL and I execute, I want the entire result set from
> the executed SQL to be returned to function RETURN.
> Is this possible? If yes, can you please point me to some examples.

No, this is not possible, unless you declare the function as "RETURNS SETOF record".
But then you have to specify the column list when you use the function, e.g.:

  SELECT * FROM func() AS (c1 integer, c2 text)

Yours,
Laurenz Albe