Create tables performance - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Sylvain CAILLET
Subject Create tables performance
Date
Re: Create tables performance  (Richard Huxton <dev@archonet.com>)
Re: Create tables performance  (Craig Ringer <ringerc@ringerc.id.au>)
List pgsql-performance
Hi to all,

I run Postgresql 8.3.9 on a dedicated server running with Debian 5.0.4, a strong bi quad-proc with RAM 16Go. My biggest db contains at least 100 000 tables. Last time, I started a Java process I use to make some change on it, it created 170 new tables and it took one full minute. That is a very long time for  such a process on such a server !
Do you think there could be some configuration tuning to do to improve the performance for create tables ?
Or do I have to use tablespaces because 100000 files in a single folder is a too many for OS ?
It's possible to migrate the DB in 9.1 version. Do you think it could solve the trouble ?

Thank you all for your advices,

Best regards

Sylvain