Re: [PERFORM] Very slow (2 tuples/second) sequential scan after bulk insert; speed returns to ~500 tuples/second after commit - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Pavan Deolasee
Subject Re: [PERFORM] Very slow (2 tuples/second) sequential scan after bulk insert; speed returns to ~500 tuples/second after commit
Date
In response to Re: [PERFORM] Very slow (2 tuples/second) sequential scan after bulk insert; speed returns to ~500 tuples/second after commit  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Responses Re: [PERFORM] Very slow (2 tuples/second) sequential scan after bulk insert; speed returns to ~500 tuples/second after commit  ("Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki@enterprisedb.com>)
Re: [PERFORM] Very slow (2 tuples/second) sequential scan after bulk insert; speed returns to ~500 tuples/second after commit  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-patches
On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 9:27 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

>  I didn't like it; it seemed overly complicated (consider dealing with
>  XID wraparound),

We are talking about subtransactions here. I don't think we support
subtransaction wrap-around, do we ?

> and it would have problems with a slow transaction
>  generating a sparse set of subtransaction XIDs.

I agree thats the worst case. But is that common ? Thats what I
was thinking when I proposed the alternate solution. I thought that can
happen only if most of the subtransactions abort, which again I thought
is not a normal case. But frankly I am not sure if my assumption is correct.

> I think getting rid of
>  the linear search will be enough to fix the performance problem.

I wonder if a skewed binary search would help more ? For example,
if we know that the range of xids stored in the array is 1 to 1000 and
if we are searching for a number closer to 1000, we can break the
array into <large,small> parts instead of equal parts and then
search.

Well, may be I making simple things complicated ;-)

Thanks,
Pavan

--
Pavan Deolasee