Re: HOT patch - version 15 - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Pavan Deolasee
Subject Re: HOT patch - version 15
Date
Re: HOT patch - version 15  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-patches

I'm curious how much the WAL-recovery aspects of this patch have been
tested, because heap_xlog_clean seems quite broken.

There are quite a few crash recovery tests that one of our QA persons
(Dharmendra Goyal) has written. I can post them if necessary. We run
these tests very regularly.

Apart from these regression crash tests, I had mostly tested by
running lot of concurrent clients on UP/SMP machines, crashing
and recovering the database. We fixed quite a few issues with
these tests. I have tried crashing in middle of UPDATEs/INSERTs/DELETEs
and VACUUM/VACUUM FULL.

You have apparently
decided to redefine the WAL record format as using one-based rather than
zero-based item offsets, which would be fine if any of the rest of the
code had been changed to agree ...

I know Heikki changed that when he did the initial refactoring, but not
sure why. May be he wanted to make it more consistent.
But I don't think its broken because we collect the offsets in one-based
format in PageRepairFragmentation, WAL log in that format and redo
the same way. Am I missing something ?

Thanks,
Pavan

--