Re: HOT patch, missing things - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavan Deolasee
Subject Re: HOT patch, missing things
Date
Re: HOT patch, missing things  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers

On 8/9/07, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
On Thu, 2007-08-09 at 15:46 +0530, Pavan Deolasee wrote:

> What if we just track the amount of potentially dead space in the
> relation
> (somebody had suggested that earlier in the thread) ? Every committed
> UPDATE/DELETE and aborted UPDATE/INSERT would increment
> the dead space. Whenever page fragmentation is repaired, either during
> normal operation or during vacuum, the dead space is reduced by the
> amount of reclaimed space. Autovacuum triggers whenever the percentage
> of dead space increases beyond a threshold.
>
> We can some fine tuning to track the space consumed by redirect-dead
> line pointers.

Sounds great.

So do we have consensus here ? Fortunately, I think there won't be any
changes to user interface. Users can still use the vacuum_scale_factor to
tune autovacuum, but instead of percentage of dead tuples, it would
signify percentage of dead space in the relation.

Thanks,
Pavan

--
Pavan Deolasee