Re: Abnormal Growth of Index Size - Index Size 3x large than tablesize. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Christian Ramseyer
Subject Re: Abnormal Growth of Index Size - Index Size 3x large than tablesize.
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi

On 06.05.20 11:48, Ram Pratap Maurya wrote:

> We are facing a problem in our PostgreSQL production database related to
> abnormal growth of index size. Some of the indexes are having abnormal
> growth and index size is larger than table data size.
>
> One table is having 75 G.B of index though table size is only 25 G.B. On
> monthly basis we are performing vacuum to release the used space.
>

> I am attaching the screen shot for your reference. Could you please help
> us in resolving the same as this is degrading performance drastically.

Under some usage patterns, a periodic REINDEX might be advisible. See
<https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/routine-reindex.html> for more
details, it might free up a lot of space for you.

If it doesn't, you'll need to dive deeper into what this indexes
actually are, if they are really used etc. But in cases of abnormal
growth that gets worse and worse over time, the above is the first thing
to try in my experience.

Cheers
Christian

--
Christian Ramseyer, netnea ag
Network Management. Security. OpenSource.