Re: Error for WITH options on partitioned tables - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Zhang
Subject Re: Error for WITH options on partitioned tables
Date
Re: Error for WITH options on partitioned tables  (Karina Litskevich <litskevichkarina@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Hi Karina,

I am not very clear about why `build_reloptions` is removed in patch
`v2-0002-better-error-message-for-setting-parameters-for-p.patch`, if
you can help explain would be great.

 From my observation, it seems the WITH option has different behavior
when creating partitioned table and index. For example,

pgbench -i --partitions=2 --partition-method=range -d postgres

postgres=# create index idx_bid on pgbench_accounts using btree(bid)
with (fillfactor = 90);
CREATE INDEX

postgres=# select relname, relkind, reloptions from pg_class where
relnamespace=2200 order by oid;
           relname           | relkind |    reloptions
----------------------------+---------+------------------
  idx_bid                    | I       | {fillfactor=90}
  pgbench_accounts_1_bid_idx | i       | {fillfactor=90}
  pgbench_accounts_2_bid_idx | i       | {fillfactor=90}

I can see the `fillfactor` parameter has been added to the indexes,
however, if I try to alter `fillfactor`, I got an error like below.
postgres=# alter index idx_bid set (fillfactor=40);
ERROR:  ALTER action SET cannot be performed on relation "idx_bid"
DETAIL:  This operation is not supported for partitioned indexes.

This generic error message is reported by
`errdetail_relkind_not_supported`, and there is a similar error message
for partitioned tables. Anyone knows if this can be an option for
reporting this `fillfactor` parameter not supported error.

Best regards,

David