RE: error "can only drop stats once" brings down database - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Floris Van Nee
Subject RE: error "can only drop stats once" brings down database
Date
List pgsql-bugs
> Okay, I've just applied the elog() version down to 15 then.  Now, about the
> entry getting dropped twice..

Thanks Michael.

I've got an update about the bug. I managed to reproduce it locally after a lot of digging.

How to repro:
- Setup primary + replica
- Open a psql session on both
- On primary session: create table t (a int); select 't'::regclass::oid;
- On replica session: select * from t;
- On primary session: drop table t; vacuum pg_class; checkpoint;
- Gdb attach to the backend for your primary, set a breakpoint for
catalog.c:GetNewOidWithIndex, just before it calls GetNewObjectId()
- On primary session: create table t (a int);
- When it hits breakpoint, simulate oid wraparound by setting:
ShmemVariableCache->nextOid = <the output value of the select earlier>
This will make pg create the new table with the same oid as the previous one.
- On primary session: drop table t; -- this triggers the replica to go down

The reason it crashes on replica is that the recovery process is responsible for dropping
stats on commit, but it's not creating them on table creation. Thus, on the second create
table call, the old shared stats entry still exists (due to a backend still have a ref to it),
but it is never reinitialized by the logic in pgstat_reinit_entry(). On primary it's not possible
to reach this state, because heap_create() creates the stats entry immediately when the
table is created.

I wonder what's the best way to fix this though.
Should redo process call pgstat_create_relation somewhere, just like heap_create does?
Should we just ignore this 'drop stats twice' error on standby?

-Floris