Re: AW: Linux Update Experience - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: AW: Linux Update Experience
Date
List pgsql-general
On 5/28/20 7:36 AM, Zwettler Markus (OIZ) wrote:
> [...]

If you are installing via packages and the package managers are doing
there job then there should not be an issue. The dependencies should be
taken care of. As to version changes, that depends on the software. For
instance Postgres 12.2 --> 12.3 is a minor/bug release so it should be
something you get. Not sure about the PostGIS upgrade, that probably
depends on what repo(s) you are using.  The bottom line is if you ask
for upgrades/updates you are going to get them. This means keeping track
of what is happening with updates to your software. Now you can pin/lock
versions, search on pinning/locking packages. The downside to that is
missing important bug fixes. I would say not updating qualifies as a
foot gun.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com