Re: psql: Make SSL info display more compact - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: psql: Make SSL info display more compact
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 28.02.22 16:12, Tom Lane wrote:
> Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> writes:
>
>>> That would work for me.
>
>> On POLA grounds I would prefer to never to show it.  If we ever get libpq
>> compression and want to show that, I'd prefer that we didn't end up
>> "compression" meaning one thing except when it means two things.
>
> Well, any such output would presumably be on a different line and
> thus distinguishable from the SSL property; plus, it'd be impossible
> for both forms to show up in the same connection.
>
> However, how about writing "SSL compression: on" versus writing
> nothing?  That avoids doubt about what it means.  I don't buy
> Michael's argument that this is ambiguous, either.

I didn't mean to reopen the whole SSL compression can of worms here, I
was mistaken about the level of support left after PG14.  I was merely
lightly annoyed that the psql startup display got quite long with not
very interesting information.

I propose a reduced patch that just removes the "bits" display, since
that is redundant with the "cipher" display.
Attachment