Re: [pgsql-www] UKPUG and using the PUGs site - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Selena Deckelmann
Subject Re: [pgsql-www] UKPUG and using the PUGs site
Date
Re: [pgsql-www] UKPUG and using the PUGs site  (Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org>)
List pgsql-advocacy
[moving to -advocacy, where we usually chat about user group things]

On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 5:55 PM, Thom Brown <thombrown@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/10/17 Selena Deckelmann <selenamarie@gmail.com>:
>>
>> Yeah, the permissions are such that you need to be added to a
>> posting-enabled group to put content up.  In the past, we've
>> restricted this to the people who are running the PUG.
>>
>> Would you like to help organize meetings? I'd be happy to add you as
>> someone who can post announcements.
>>
>> Dave and Simon have traditionally been the folks to do this, IIRC.
>>
>> -selena
>
> Thanks for replying Selena.  I think I understand what the content
> creation is for then; for organisers to communicate to their
> respective groups.
>
> As much as I'd like meetings to take place, I'm not confident enough
> to organise them at this stage as I'm not at all familiar with how
> these groups work, and I don't mean only a PostgreSQL user group.  My
> first physical step into the community will be at PGDay in Paris in a
> few weeks, so things may change after that.

That will be a great place to start! All the leaders of the Pg-EU
organization will be there, plus most of the European developers, and
community members.

> Am I to understand that there are no UK meetings of any kind at the
> moment?  I've only really heard of Dave Page and Simon Riggs, and I
> don't get much sense of a community here in the UK due to lack of
> members.

I don't believe there's been a UK meeting since the conference, but
I'll leave it to Dave/Simon to  confirm or deny that.

My understanding is that the meetings were typically started at the
pub, in the late afternoon. :)

> On a related note, what generally takes place at other meetings, and
> what form do they take?  Yes, I really don't know :)

Different groups operate differently -- but typical things are:

* Short (5-15 minute) or long (~45 minute) presentations on Postgres
or database related topics
* Networking events and socializing for people interested in Postgres
* After-meeting pub get-togethers
* Dinners
* Patch review parties

And many user groups organize single or multi-day conferences.

Some user groups are a bit more formal - with actual bylaws, and rules
about membership and maybe even membership dues. The US user groups
are as a rule very informal - no special membership requirements, and
meetings open to all. I believe the UK group has a similar structure,
but again, I defer to Dave/Simon. :)

Generally, I try to help people get together to talk about Postgres
stuff regardless of what kind of organization they've got. And when
people are traveling that are part of the development or advocacy
groups, we try to arrange for them to meet up with locals.

This is a good mailing list to subscribe to if you're interested in
those types of things.

-selena

--
http://chesnok.com/daily - me