Re: Add parallelism and glibc dependent only options to reindexdb - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Add parallelism and glibc dependent only options to reindexdb
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2019-07-02 10:45, Julien Rouhaud wrote:
> It just seemed wrong to me to allow a partial processing for something
> that's aimed to prevent corruption.  I'd think that if users are
> knowledgeable enough to only reindex a subset of indexes/tables in
> such cases, they can also discard indexes that don't get affected by a
> collation lib upgrade.  I'm not strongly opposed to supporting if
> though, as there indeed can be valid use cases.

We are moving in this direction.  Thomas Munro has proposed an approach
for tracking collation versions on a per-object level rather than
per-database.  So then we'd need a way to reindex not those indexes
affected by collation but only those affected by collation and not yet
fixed.

One could also imagine a behavior where not-yet-fixed indexes are simply
ignored by the planner.  So the gradual upgrading approach that Tomas
described is absolutely a possibility.