Re: PATCH: CITEXT 2.0 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David E. Wheeler
Subject Re: PATCH: CITEXT 2.0
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Jul 7, 2008, at 00:46, Zdenek Kotala wrote:

> You have to use varstr_cmp  in citextcmp. Your code is correct,
> because for
> < <= >= > operators you need collation sensible function.
>
> You need to change only citext_cmp function to use strncmp() or call
> texteq function.

I'm confused. What's the difference between strncmp() and
varstr_cmp()? And why would I use one in one place and the other
elsewhere? Shouldn't they be used consistently?

> I'm think that this test will work correctly for en_US.UTF-8 at any
> time. I guess the test make sense only when Czech collation
> (cs_CZ.UTF-8) is selected, but unfortunately, you cannot change
> collation during your test :(.

No, I was wondering before what locale was used for initdb on the
build farm. I mean, how are locale-aware things really tested?

> I think, Best solution for now is to keep the test and add comment
> about recommended collation for this test.

Yep, that's what it does.

Thanks,

David