Re: pgsql: Fix for plpython functions; return true/false for boolean, - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From J. Andrew Rogers
Subject Re: pgsql: Fix for plpython functions; return true/false for boolean,
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Jan 30, 2007, at 2:43 AM, Guido Goldstein wrote:
> Is it possible to tell me which python versions you want to
> support?
>
> Just as a hint: 2.5 is the current stable version.

I support a lot of python on several platforms.  For broad
compatibility with pre-installed Python versions on recent OS
versions, Python 2.3 support is essentially mandatory and there are
few good reasons to not support it.  I occasionally see Python 2.2 on
really old systems by default, but it takes significantly more effort
to support versions that old; the solution in my case is to upgrade
Python to 2.3 or 2.4.

Python 2.5 may be the current "stable" version, but vanilla source
builds segfault on some Python code that runs fine in 2.3 and 2.4,
strongly suggesting that it is not mature enough that I would put it
anywhere near anything important (like a database).

J. Andrew Rogers
jrogers@neopolitan.com