Re: .ready and .done files considered harmful - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bossart, Nathan
Subject Re: .ready and .done files considered harmful
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 8/5/21, 6:26 PM, "Kyotaro Horiguchi" <horikyota.ntt@gmail.com> wrote:
> It works the current way always at the first iteration of
> pgarch_ArchiveCopyLoop() becuse in the last iteration of
> pgarch_ArchiveCopyLoop(), pgarch_readyXlog() erases the last
> anticipated segment.  The shortcut works only when
> pgarch_ArchiveCopyLoop archives more than once successive segments at
> once.  If the anticipated next segment found to be missing a .ready
> file while archiving multiple files, pgarch_readyXLog falls back to
> the regular way.
>
> So I don't see the danger to happen perhaps you are considering.

I think my concern is that there's no guarantee that we will ever do
another directory scan.  A server that's generating a lot of WAL could
theoretically keep us in the next-anticipated-log code path
indefinitely.

> In the first place, .ready are added while holding WALWriteLock in
> XLogWrite, and while removing old segments after a checkpoint (which
> happens while recovery). Assuming that no one manually remove .ready
> files on an active server, the former is the sole place doing that. So
> I don't see a chance that .ready files are created out-of-order way.

Perhaps a more convincing example is when XLogArchiveNotify() fails.
AFAICT this can fail without ERROR-ing, in which case the server can
continue writing WAL and creating .ready files for later segments.  At
some point, the checkpointer process will call RemoveOldXlogFiles()
and try to create the missing .ready file.

Nathan