Re: No flamefest please, MySQL vs. PostgreSQL AGAIN - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Murthy Kambhampaty
Subject Re: No flamefest please, MySQL vs. PostgreSQL AGAIN
Date
List pgsql-admin

I think you'll find the discussion on "LVM snapshots"
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=postgresql-admin&w=2&r=1&s=LVM+snapshots&q=b
relevant. If you don't need the log roll-forward coming with postgresql
PITR, and your reporting function is run infrequently, you can get "really
lazy replication" with rsync, LVM (or EVMS or hardware) snapshots, and a
journaling filesystem (an example script is included in the discussion).
This strategy has eliminated a big problem we had with postgresql dumps
taking too long on large datasets, but it also facilitates the applications
David and Naomi are interested in, under the right circumstances.

    Murthy

(With XFS as the underlying filesystem, snapshot creation sometimes gets
stuck in D state, and so does the $PGDATA filesystem. I have an updated
example script with a workaround for this, which I will post in a day or
two; an updated version of XFS with a permanent fix is in testing.)