Re: loading and unloading rows - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Murthy Kambhampaty
Subject Re: loading and unloading rows
Date
List pgsql-admin
As long as you are going to use pipes to do your "load/unload" or "read from
one cluster, copy to another", why not go with:

/usr/local/pgsql/bin/psql -U xxxx -d xxxx -h xxxx \
    -P format=unaligned -P fieldsep='\t' -P tuples_only \
    -c "select * from tab where yoo='hoo'" | /usr/local/pgsql/bin/psql
-U xxxx -d xxxx -h xxxx \
    -c "copy bar from stdin"

You don't have to do the text processing Bhuvan described, just obviate it
with the right options to psql. You don't need additional functionality in
postgresql unless you want to do it all with SQL rather than from a shell or
other client interface (you may have problems using named pipes from, say, a
python interface running on Windows, but you can work around that too).

Finally, you're not asking for a where clause for copying from a text file
to a pg table, are you? THAT is going to take a temporary table in any case,
it seems, so why not do it yourself?

Cheers,
    Murthy