Re: indexes - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ben
Subject Re: indexes
Date
Re: indexes  (Tom Allison <tom@tacocat.net>)
List pgsql-general
Yes, it does. So of course it depends on how you use it to know
what's going to be more efficient. For instance, if the rows in this
table contain strings of more than a few bytes, and more than a
couple tables reference this table with a foreign key, then you will
quickly start to save space by using a numeric primary key, even if
it is an artificial construct.

For the kind of work I find myself doing, it's rare that it would be
more efficient to not have the artificial construct. But that doesn't
mean one is always better than the other.