Re: script binaries renaming - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Michael Glaesemann
Subject Re: script binaries renaming
Date
List pgsql-patches
On Jul 6, 2007, at 11:28 , Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Why should they be name spaced? I see zero reason why that should
> be the case...
>
> apache_httpd?
> gnu_ls?

Personally, I think that the Apache daemon *should* be named apached
or something along those lines.

Compare with postgres, pg_ctl, pg_dump, or pg_config. Albeit postgres
is not consistent, they're all easily identifiable with PostgreSQL.
In my opinion, postgres, pg_ctl, pg_ccmp, and pg_config are better
names than, say, dbmsd, dbms_ctl, db_dump, and db_config. Also, we
recently deprecated the use of postmaster (easily confused with mail
systems) in favor of postgres. Looking at the binaries that are
installed for 8.2:

clusterdb
createdb
createlang
createuser
dropdb
droplang
dropuser
ecpg
initdb
ipcclean
pg_config
pg_controldata
pg_ctl
pg_dump
pg_dumpall
pg_resetxlog
pg_restore
postgres
postmaster -> postgres
psql
reindexdb
vacuumdb

If these are all dumped into /usr/local/bin (as they sometimes are),
many of them are not readily identifiable with PostgreSQL. Shouldn't
they be? Compare with Subversion:
svn
svnadmin
svndumpfileter
svnlook
svnserver
svnsync
svnversion

I find these names much more consistent.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm seespotcode net