Re: PG 924, Windows 2012, error code 487 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Abraham, Danny
Subject Re: PG 924, Windows 2012, error code 487
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

Thanks a lot for your reply ...

From what I can find WSACancelBlockingCall is a Winsock function has to do with networking/messaging and not memory
issuesper se. So what makes you think it is a memory issue >or are the memory problems a separate issue?

See below for more detail on WSACancelBlockingCall, it might help you determine how to debug:

http://www.sockets.com/winsock.htm#CancelBlockingCall

>Looked at the bug report and the last comment was from Robert Haas who indicated there was not enough information to
workwith. I would say we are at that same point now.
>In your first post you mention that this is related to connection attempts.
>So:
>What clients are connecting and is it restricted to particular clients?

This is in fact a long installation thread that is using  JDBC code, some libpq/C, some psql scripts.
Not many connections in parallel. Just one thread that is opening and closing a few connections to the PG server.

>How many connections are you attempting at a time?
Very few of them

>You said many connection refusals are happening, how many as percent of total?
This is a brand new server, automatically installed.
Once initdb is over ... PG will not allow connections.

>You also mentioned 'Sometimes it even fails the AUTOVACUM  process'.

2014-01-07 15:56:11.232 GMTLOG:  autovacuum launcher started
2014-01-07 15:56:23.687 GMTLOG:  could not reserve shared memory region (addr=0000000001080000) for child
0000000000001354:error code 487
2014-01-07 15:56:23.687 GMTLOG:  could not fork new process for connection: A blocking operation was interrupted by a
callto WSACancelBlockingCall.

>What does that mean, the AUTOVACUM process cannot connect, it connects but then fails, other?

As you see above, it does not connect...