Re: procpid? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: procpid?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Jun 13, 2011, at 10:22 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
>> A synonym feature would definitely be useful for cases like this. We have a poorly named database at work; it's been
thatway for years and the only reason it's never been cleaned up is because it would require simultaneously changing
configsettings in dozens of places on hundreds of machines (many of which are user machines, which makes performing the
changevery difficult). As annoying as dealing with the oddball name is (there's a number of pieces of code that have to
specialcase it), it would be even more painful to fix the problem. If we had database name synonyms we could create a
synonymand migrate everything over time... and in the meantime, code could stop special-casing it.

> That's probably the best explanation of why synonyms would be useful I
> believe I've yet heard.

FWIW, I've asked Command Prompt to look into creating database name synonyms for us, but perhaps there are other
synonymsthat would make sense? I can't really think of any other cases where you care about name and don't have a way
towork around it (ie: column and tables can be done with views; you can grant a role to another role; you can create a
wrapperfunction).
--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect                   jim@nasby.net