Way to get at parsed trigger 'WHEN' clause expression? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From James Robinson
Subject Way to get at parsed trigger 'WHEN' clause expression?
Date
List pgsql-general
Folks,

    I see that psql's \d displays trigger information of a table by making a call to pg_catalog.pg_get_triggerdef(),
whichabstracts away most all need to parse the contents of system catalog pg_trigger. However, we'd like to be able to
getat a human readable representation of just the WHEN clause of the trigger expression. Function pg_get_expr() looked
likely,but fails when fed a pgqual value from pg_trigger ala:

    ERROR: bogus varno: 2

    I suspect that it is falling over dead trying to parse the representation of NEW and / or OLD. Anything built in,
orshould we just make call to pg_catalog.pg_get_triggerdef() and parse out the WHEN clause text?

Thanks!
------
James Robinson
Socialserve.com by Emphasys Software