Re: [GENERAL] Postgresql / Threads / Scalability - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Elmar.Haneke@gmx.de
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Postgresql / Threads / Scalability
Date
List pgsql-general
Timothy Glover schrieb:

> Hi,
> Im very new to this list please excuse me if ive posted to the wrong place.
> I was just wondering if postgresql has support for SMP/threads ?
> I was also wondering how scalable it is ?

In opposite to Oracle and other big commercial databases PostgreSQL will
not utilize multiple CPU to process an single SQL-statement faster.

Since for each Client-Connection an separate process on the server is created,
PostgreSQL will utilize mutliple CPU to raise overall throughput in an multi-user
environment.

If you have an single client requesting much work, an additional CPU would be
waste. If you have mutliple clients, SMP sould speedup processing.

Elmar