Re: Patch: plan invalidation vs stored procedures - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Decibel!
Subject Re: Patch: plan invalidation vs stored procedures
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Aug 20, 2008, at 9:18 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> However I have no hard evidence to back up drawing the line there
> rather
> than somewhere else.  Anyone have data on what sort of DDL changes are
> common in their applications?

I've worked in environments where we used stored functions
extensively and where we didn't. Table DDL is generally fairly common
in both cases, and if stored functions or views are used, it's very
common for table DDL to trigger updates in views and functions. It's
fairly common to have to update just functions to kill bugs or change
functionality. Trigger changes are a bit less frequent, and views are
probably the least frequent.
--
Decibel!, aka Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect  decibel@decibel.org