Re: Python 3.1 support - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From James Pye
Subject Re: Python 3.1 support
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Nov 19, 2009, at 3:12 AM, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> The other approach, which is what James Pye's
> new implementation proposes (as I understand it), is to convert
> PostgreSQL types into specially made Python objects, such as
> Postgres.types.record or Postgres.types.timestamp.

Convert is not a good word choice. The Datum of the parameter is stored inside a new Python object(that only holds a
Datum).So more like "copied into Python memory", and associated with its respective type. Wrapped in a Python object?

One cool thing about doing it this way, is that if you just pass parameters forward to a prepared statement, there's no
typeI/O overhead. Not a huge performance win for common cases, but if someone were passing larger arrays around, it
couldbe quite beneficial.