Re: Problems when copy data from dump file - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Klas Stockhem
Subject Re: Problems when copy data from dump file
Date
List pgsql-sql

-----Ursprungligt meddelande-----
Från: Richard Huxton [mailto:dev@archonet.com]
Skickat: den 4 augusti 2009 15:27
Till: Klas Stockhem
Kopia: PostgreSQL
Ämne: Re: SV: [SQL] Problems when copy data from dump file

Klas Stockhem wrote:
> Thanks for your mail!

Remember to cc: the mailing list too. Just hit "reply to all".

Oh, and perhaps don't top-quote. It makes it difficult for others to
follow the message.

> 1. Yes, the 5 and other text are at line 2 (a new line). I tried to put
> the whole command on the first line and execute it but I get same error:
>

> ERROR:  syntax error at or near "1"
> LINE 1: COPY artikkel (id, tittel, tekst) FROM stdin 1 test test;

No, the data needs to start on the line below COPY, but your first email  had a blank line there. Your message had:

Line 1: COPY artikkel (id, tittel, tekst) FROM stdin;
Line 2: (blank)
Line 3: 5 Slitasje og vedlikehold   PRAKTISKE OPPLYSNINGER

What you want is something like:
COPY artikkel (id, tittel, tekst) FROM stdin;
1<tab>Title one<tab>Some text
2<tab>Title two<tab>Some text
\.

Where the <tab> marks are real tabs.

> I have also separated the 1 and the "test-text" with tab. Is the syntax
> for the line 1 correct? I have read some about using DELIMITER. Do you
> have a suggestion how a can use this in the command?
>
> 2. Yes I have opened the dump file on in a windows system and copy+paste
> it into the phppgadmin web interface.

Hmm - reading the phppgadmin documentation, the FAQ says the following:  "Only uploaded SQL scripts can contain COPY
commandsand for this to
work, you must have PHP 4.2 or higher."

So - it looks like you should save the COPY script to a text-file and
upload it. I don't know how you do that, but it should be in the manual.
--   Richard Huxton  Archonet Ltd

ok, I have downloaded and installed EMS SQL query 2007 local on my computer and it works fine to connect to my database
serverfrom this software. (It did'nt work with the phpPGadmin web interface.)

I have also inserted data into my tables ansql query it works fine.
I have just one problem left: I must type the schema name and table name in all sql queries to get some outputs. E.g
Schema2.table
This makes some problems in my web applications. When I execute my php files in the web browser the sql server returns
"schema"public2" does not exist". It reads the sql query in my web application like a small p but I have typed big P in
thephp file. I can run this in the EMS software and there it works fine.

When I try to just type the table name in sql query like "SELECT * FROM tablename" I get error "relation "tablename"
doesnot exist".

Does the php engine interpret the big P like a small one?
Is it recommended to always have small letters in schema names?
How do I make so I not must type the schema name in every sql query? The best would be if I just can type the table
name.

//Klas