Re: pgsql: Close stdin where it's not needed in TestLib.pm procedures - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pgsql: Close stdin where it's not needed in TestLib.pm procedures
Date
List pgsql-committers
> On Mon, Nov 25, 2019 at 09:01:46PM +0000, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>> Close stdin where it's not needed in TestLib.pm procedures
>>
>> Where possible, do this using a pseudoterminal, so that things like
>> openssl that want to open /dev/tty if stdin isn't a tty won't.

> This one is causing failures with the TAP tests of initdb on all AIX
> animals and prairiedog:
> # Running: initdb --help
> Can't locate IO/Pty.pm in @INC (@INC contains: ../../../src/test/perl/
> . /usr/local/perl5.8.3/lib/5.8.3/darwin-2level

Perhaps the "where possible" caveat needs to include a test whether
IO::Pty is installed?  It's evidently not there by default everywhere.

It's possible that we should just move the goalposts and say IO::Pty
is required for TAP testing.  I can foresee that we'll have to do
that if we ever want automated tests of psql's tab completion,
for example.

            regards, tom lane