Re: [HACKERS] increasing the default WAL segment size - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] increasing the default WAL segment size
Date
Re: [HACKERS] increasing the default WAL segment size  (David Steele <david@pgmasters.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
> On 3/17/17 16:20, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> I think we would have to extend restore_command with an additional
>> placeholder that communicates the segment size, and add a new pg_standby
>> option to accept that size somehow.  And specifying the size would have
>> to be mandatory, for complete robustness.  Urgh.

> Another way would be to name the WAL files in a more self-describing
> way.  For example, instead of

Actually, if you're content with having tools obtain this info by
examining the WAL files, we shouldn't need to muck with the WAL naming
convention (which seems like it would be a horrid mess, anyway --- too
much outside code knows that).  Tools could get the segment size out of
XLogLongPageHeaderData.xlp_seg_size in the first page of the segment.