Re: BUG #17550: inet type doesn't accept alternate notations of ipv4 addresses - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #17550: inet type doesn't accept alternate notations of ipv4 addresses
Date
List pgsql-bugs
> I don't see it as unreasonable to claim the lack of documentation regarding
> known alternative representations that could be accepted as input is a
> bug.  The actual report isn't even asking for us to implement acceptance of
> those formats, just make it clear when someone gets that error and checks
> the docs that the error is valid.

Yeah.  I'm disinclined to loosen the input syntax rules, but the docs
could stand improvement I think.  Particularly since there are no
concrete examples in

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/datatype-net-types.html#DATATYPE-INET

but there are in the following section about CIDR --- and that type
*does* allow some forms of abbreviation.  It would not be unreasonable
to assume that INET does too.

            regards, tom lane