Re: An idea for parallelizing COPY within one backend - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: An idea for parallelizing COPY within one backend
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Florian G. Pflug" <fgp@phlo.org> writes:
> Plus, I'd see this as a kind of testbed for gently introducing
> parallelism into postgres backends (especially thinking about sorting
> here).

This thinking is exactly what makes me scream loudly and run in the
other direction.  I don't want threads introduced into the backend,
whether "gently" or otherwise.  The portability and reliability hits
that we'll take are too daunting.  Threads that invoke user-defined
code (as anything involved with datatype-specific operations must)
are especially fearsome, as there is precisely 0 chance of that code
being thread-safe.