Re: Idea how to get rid of Bitmap Heap Scan - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Idea how to get rid of Bitmap Heap Scan
Date
List pgsql-performance
Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu> writes:
> In the original poster's plan that isn't an issue. We could scan the
> index, perform the joins and restriction clauses, and only check the
> visibility on the resulting tuples which slip through them all. That
> would be possible even without crash-safe visibility bits.

Yeah, this was floated years ago as being a potentially interesting
approach when all the join-condition fields are indexed.  You end up
never having to fetch rows that don't pass the join.

It certainly seems reasonably straightforward on the executor side.
As Greg said, the hard part is planning it sanely.

            regards, tom lane