Re: libpq and prepared statements progress for 8.0 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Wheeler
Subject Re: libpq and prepared statements progress for 8.0
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sep 17, 2004, at 1:32 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

> Well, that's the problem: you can't.  The SQL PREPARE command doesn't
> have any provision for dealing with unspecified parameters.  I think
> this is reasonable since if it could, it would still have no way to
> tell
> you what it resolved the parameter types as.  The shortcoming here is
> really in libpq and not in the backend: the protocol-level Parse
> operation *is* designed to handle this scenario, but libpq isn't
> letting
> you get at it.

Great, thank you, Tom, that's exactly the answer I was looking for. And
if I understand a previous post from you, this functionality should be
added to libpq, but you haven't had time and aren't sure what the API
should look like, anyway, is that correct?

Is this the task labeled "llow libpq to check parameterized data types"
here?:
  http://candle.pha.pa.us/cgi-bin/pgopenitems

Regards,

David