Re: create database from text file, to delete columns - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From e-letter
Subject Re: create database from text file, to delete columns
Date
List pgsql-novice
On 02/04/2008, Sean Davis <sdavis2@mail.nih.gov> wrote:
> No.  You can easily use python, perl, R, java, or some other language
>  to parse the file and generate the create table statements.  However,
>  if you just need to remove some columns, you do not really need the
>  database at all.  Just use a little script (again, in a scripting
>  language) to remove the columns you like.

I'm afraid cannot easily use awk, perl, nor rexx (simply beyond my
comprehension). So I want to return to the database way as the nearest
to a spreadsheet.

I tried importing my csv file using the copy command but nothing
happens. I created a blank database and then issued the command:

COPY databasename FROM '/filename.csv' | STDIN WITH DELIMITER ',' NULL
'0.0E0' CSV

Then I issue the command:

\dl

and there is nothing in the database just two empty columns appear,
ID|Description.

How to resolve please.