Re: Crash dumps - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Crash dumps
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Radosław Smogura <rsmogura@softperience.eu> writes:
> Craig Ringer <craig@postnewspapers.com.au> Thursday 07 of July 2011 01:05:48
>> How do you propose to make that reliable, though?

> I want to add IPC layer to postgresql, few approches may be considerable,
> 1. System IPC
> 2. Urgent data on socket
> 3. Sockets (at least descriptors) + threads
> 4. Not portable, fork in segfault (I think forked process should start in
> segfault too).

An IPC layer to be invoked during segfaults?  Somehow I don't think
that's going to pass the reliability threshold.  It doesn't sound
promising from a portability standpoint either, since not one of your
suggestions will work everywhere, even without the already-segfaulted
context to worry about.