Re: executor relation handling - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: executor relation handling
Date
List pgsql-hackers
David Rowley <david.rowley@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> On 1 October 2018 at 19:39, Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
>> For this and the other cases (AcquireRewriteLocks, AcquireExecutorLocks,
>> etc.), I wonder whether we couldn't just *not* recalculate the lock mode
>> based on inspecting the query tree to cross-check with rellockmode?  Why
>> not just use rellockmode for locking?  Maybe, okay to keep doing that in
>> debug builds though.  Also, are the discrepancies like this to be
>> considered bugs of the existing logic?

> I got the impression Tom was just leaving that in for a while to let
> the buildfarm verify the new code is getting the same lock level as
> the old code. Of course, I might be wrong.

Yeah, exactly.  My plan is to next switch to taking the locks based on
rellockmode, and then if that doesn't show any problems to switch the
executor to just Assert that there's already a suitable lock, and then
lastly to proceed with ripping out the no-longer-needed logic that
supports the downstream calculations of lockmode.  So a bit more granular
than what Amit submitted, but we'll get to the same place in the end,
with more confidence that we didn't break anything.